Monday 2 January 2012

Year Review

This is the day when you are meant to sum up 2011 and how much you have achieved. Well if you go on the figures it has not been a good year - only about four finishes over the whole year - but on the plus side the larege applique top is completed and another one about half done.

Did I buy more fabric than I used - probably!!!!!!!!!!!! But this year is going to be better (I managed to get in a quick shop on New Year's Eve on the internet so that will count for last year and not this one although it will not arrive until next week. It is a super collection and I will photograph it when it arrives - needless to say I ordered enough to make a whole quilt.

I want to tell you about my new best friend
This tape can be used to iron pieces of batting together so that you can use odd bits for a small quilt. You have to iron it on a very low heat (ask how I know) and it does not go hard. So I have managed to use up several small pieces on the two quilts I have been working on over the Christmas holiday. The first is the second piece of fabric I bought years ago and I just stipple quilted it to get it completed - still have the binding to hand sew but I need something to do at my group later in the week.

The second quilt is a lap size and made out of headers and footers

This was my collection of greens which had been cut into 2 1/2" strips. I found the border in my stash and also the backing
Why did I ever buy this farmyard fabric - I must have had it for about 15 years so I am glad that it has finally gone from the stash.

But then I decided that I just had to go for it with the machine quilting
I am sort of hoping that you can't see the quilting too clearly but it is meant to be loops and leaves. I have never done anything like this before but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it brilliant - no, not at all but better to have tried ......  I used the wonderfil splendour thread in the top and bobbin and it worked a treat, but I rather wish I had used a variagated thread - this sage green is very unforgiving on the lighter colours. Mind you it looks brilliant in the borders as you can hardly see it and it blends marvellous with the back - perhaps I should just pretend that the back is really the front.  This quilt has no destination but will be added to the pile so that I have a few ready if any are needed for special people.

So goals for 2012. 

  1. Well doing the Committed to Cloth course, Wet and Wild, will I am sure open my eyes to new opportunities.
  2. To buy less fabric than I use, except for backings and bindings
  3. To finally start doing some wood applique - I have the wool felt in bucket loads and need to get to grips with this.
  4. To complete all the challenges that the Wimbledon Quilters are doing.
  5. To machine quilt the large applique quilt and exhibit it at the Festival of Quilts in August
I think that is enough to be going on with.  I also need to list all my WHIMMS - I don't have too many UFOs but have several boxes with fabric for quilt tops in them - no patterns but just a collection of fabrics that I liked - horrifyingly some of them date back several years!

I hope that everyone has a very good year and manages to quilt as much as they want.

Happy quilting.


No comments: