Friday 17 June 2011

Sandown quilt show

Finally I managed to get to a quilt show - was having serious withdraw symptoms having not been to a show since Festival last August.

Some of the quilts were superb - lots of machine quilting and with some lovely colour combinations. I do not have the names of all the makers but here are some photos


I loved the subtle colours of these vases
The white lines were staggered so it produced this wonderful effect and here is a detail.
This could be a great use for all the strips I have, both 1 1/2" and 2 1/2"

This was the championship quilt and here is a detail


This was a wonderful painted quilt by Sheen Norquay and again here is a detail

A big pat on the back as I did not buy any fabric - stuck to my list of threads and managed to get most of them.

Bought a copy of Sue Spargo's Contemporary Folk as I just love her designs and I have a small stash of felt that I am intending to use to make small things - pincushions and the odd cushion as well.

I did rather blow the budget and buy EQ7 software to help me design large quilts. I have been looking forward to this for ages and once I have conquered the instructions (which seem incredibly complicated but I guess I will get my head around) it will be all systems go.

Spent ages on the Bernina stand, probably driving the poor guy mad, as I had a list of questions about the 820 machine which I have been saving up for.  I had a practice at the machine applique and was delighted with the results - it is so responsive to commands and will be much easier to use on small pieces.  How have I put up with my machine for so long, I will never know. The bummer is that Bernina is about to raise the price by over 10% so it looks as if I will have to get my order in next week. I probably won't take delivery until after I get back from holiday but it will be nice to go away with the happy thought that most of the summer can be spent getting to grips with this monster.

We have our church fair tomorrow so I will not be able to do any sewing or playing until Sunday but hope to blog then and let you know how I have been getting on. The Roseville corner blocks are all glued and so a day at the sewing machine should mean that progress will be made.

1 comment:

Deb said...

What an awesome BAQ just love love love that hand quilting.
Here is a pat from ONtario for not buying fabric