Monday, 14 February 2011

Roseville block 1

I spent the afternoon cutting out the templates for the first block of the Roseville quilt by Kim McLean. You can see the whole quilt at Glorious Colour.  It is all made with Kaffe Fassett fabrics which as you will know are not shy and retiring. In fact the whole project is quite a scary prospect I find. Not from the sewing point of view as all the pieces are quite large and should not present a problem. The  worrying bit is the colour - this block (which will measure 16" finished) has eleven different colours in it and I still have to find something for the bias stems.  None of them are at all plain so you have a clash of different prints.  I guess only time will tell whether I have succeeded in obtaining an overall sweep of colour and that no one block stands out from the crowd.

All the seams have to turned under so the stems should look much more in proportion when they are sewn down.

So I will have something to take to sew with my group on Friday, even if it is just glueing down all the seam allowances so that I can machine applique it back home. The two blue flowers come from the same fabric but have been fussy cut to produce different results.

1 comment:

Louisa said...

Wonderful fabric choices! this is going to be stunning.