Tuesday 8 March 2011

Roseville Block 3

I am finally beginning to work out how to make these blocks. The stems come first - made bias binding, fusible webbing on the back and then sewn down.
Then your take the individual shapes and glue and sew them into individual flowers

here are the flowers. This is such a good way of doing it as when it comes to sewing down the flowers you have a relatively large piece to sew around. I tend to use a Bottomline thread in sage green in the bobbin and an invisible thread on the top. I really enjoy the machine applique method but am not adverse to hand appliqueing the odd piece as well. As long as I have glued under all the edges, I am quite happy.

Then you place the largest pieces on to give the block a frame

Once you have got the frame of the block sewn down, then all you have to do is fill in with the flowers and leaves you have created earlier.
I am off to a small quilting group today to show them what I have been doing but I doubt I will get any time to sew - we seem to chat too much!! But hopefully I will be able to show you the finished block in a day or two.

No comments: